Sunday, July 21, 2013

Trip to New Delhi



So the morning we left, me and 5 of my teammates including my CD (country director) Ben woke up at 3 am to catch our flight to Delhi. It was weird being up that early because the main roads were empty give or take a motorcycle or two that would cruise by. It was actually really weird and I think that will be the only time I experience that.

Anyways, the 2 hour flight was so blessedly short compared the bus rides I was used to, especially since we were considering a 32 hour bus ride cause it was cheaper. So when we arrived in Delhi, we thought it was going to be cooler than Hyderabad or at least the same since it’s farther north. We were wrong. It was drippin down the face and back like it owned me.




OUR first day there we took the A/C heaven metro to get us across the city where we caught an auto over to Gandhi’s house. We didn’t have much time because every freakin monument or cool place that we wanted to visit closed at 5, so we didn’t get to stay and see everything we wanted. But we managed to walk through some of the halls of the house as well as the path he took his last steps on. The path lead to the gardens of the property and over near the temple he prayed at for the last 144 days of his life. The whole experience was really cool.






















After that we bought goods from the sellers outside the entrance and took a walk down the wide, beautiful, clean roads that ran through that part of town. There were massive roundabouts everywhere so we chilled and played some ninja strike…which happens to be one of my favorite games to play. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a game where you stand in a circle and each person gets one turn, and by turn I mean movement, to try and hit the others hands. The person that is being attacked in addition has one move to dodge. I know it sounds dumb, but if you decide to not be so adult one day, give it a shot. It gets pretty intense.

The rest of the trip was really good besides the fact that we were all getting sick. I had woken up with a sore throat the morning we flew out, and by the end of the trip a few of my teammates were throwing up, we all at one point had 0 +/- 1 energy, and we all had rumbly bumblies.  We attribute the rumblies to what we figured thought to be contaminated water bottles that we all bought on the first day, as well as to heat stroke, and possibly to me.

BUUUUT that didn’t stop us from visiting cool places. Throughout the rest of our stay we were able to visit Gandhi’s grave, Humayun’s tomb/ its surrounding buildings, Qutub Minar, the Lotus Temple, the India Gate, underground bazaars, and other parts of the city. We rode rickshaws, trains, autos, the metro and taxis for transportations, and drank a crap load of water to keep from draining out in the heat.












Humayun’s tomb was really cool. It was like a precursor to seeing the Taj Mahal as it’s Mughal architecture was what influenced the Taj. There were different sections of the property, one of which led to some cool building used for who knows what. But the actual tomb was beautifully detailed. All of it, everything was actually. And the fact that it was built in the mid1500’s blew my mindskies.



















 

As for the rest, we kinda flew through those. Qutub Minar was really awesome, and is the tallest minar in India. From afar it looks like twice the size of what it really is, but if you decided to walk 237 feet and then look back to where you took your first step, you would be able to get an idea how tall it is. At its base it measures a 46 foot diameter and is made out of sandstone/marble..(thanks Wikipedia for those fun facts)..When I walked up to its base, I was amazed at the detail that runs in layers up to the top. It was raaaaaad..for lack of a better description.




 























Anyways, I may or may not add more this post, but for now I will continue my adventure in Delhi which also extends to Jaipur and Agra through separate posts.My adventure in Delhi continues in my next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment